Sorry for the delay.

Jeremias Maerki wrote:
Do you mean something like setOutputProperty(name, value) in the JAXP
Transformer?

No, rather something like setParam(name,value), but on the renderer.

Note that PDF encryption parameters are specific to a rendering run
while the character encoding is probably more of a
environmental/factory-level config value.

After some thinking, I'd say I mean a mechanism for setting or
overwriting configuration values from the command line.
Something like
  fop -fo foo.fo -pdf foo.pdf -r noprint=yes -r filters=''
(oops, convoluted example), and the name/value pairs after the -r
switch would be passed to the renderer by whatever means, for example
by mangling the configuration or, as I tried to suggest, as a Properties
object.

I'm bothered with having a very renderer specific data class in the
UserAgent, and no obvious way to pass command line values to the
renderer.
BTW: encryption options like noprint should as well be configurable,
and there are arguments that even the user password for encryption
could benefit from being read from the XML configuration data.

J.Pietschmann