On Monday 27 February 2006 23:16, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> On 27.02.2006 16:02:32 Manuel Mall wrote:

> > > Hmm, you're right. I forgot about that. But in the end, this only
> > > clarifies that, for example, fixed width spaces are never
> > > suppressed (not even at a break) except if they are in an
> > > explicit fo:character element with
> > > suppress-at-line-break="suppress". This property applies only to
> > > fo:character and is not inherited, so you can't specify it on
> > > fo:block, IMO. I feel we're getting closer.
> >
> > Yes, that is my interpretation as well.
> >
> > Side question: Do I understand correctly that only inheritable
> > properties can be put on ancestor objects (Spec 5.1.4)? If so, and
> > as suppress-at-line-break is not inheritable what sense does the
> > allowed value "inherit" than make?
>
> No, you can actually specify any property anywhere. But if a property
> does not "apply" to an element it is not evaluated/used by it. I used
> to believe that we should warn about the use of non-inherited
> properties on elements these properties don't apply to, but the
> "inherit" value is exactly the reason why this is perfectly legal,
> although this may add to the overall complexity for the user with
> (IMO) little benefit. I've never had to use "inherit" before.

You are confusing me: Further above you said that
"suppress-at-line-break" cannot be specified on a fo:block but now you
seem to say it can, it just does not apply. Why is 5.1.4 saying
"inheritable properties can be placed on any formatting object" when
according to your interpretation any property (be it inheritable or
not) can be placed on any object.

> Jeremias Maerki

Manuel