On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 06:57:02PM +0100, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> I need a second pair of eyes (or more) for a change I've done in
> Font-java.
>
> I think there are a number of bugs in the getCharWidth() method:
> - The widths for special spaces were never returned as getWidth()
> automatically replaced them with "#".
> - The value for "em" was taken from the width of the small "m".
> WikiPedia says to use the width of the big "M", or rather, today, the
> size of the font in use (like in the XSL-FO spec).
> - A similar problem with "en". It is defined by WikiPedia as em/2.
> - I changed the widths of 200A and 200B to better match the description
> in http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2000.pdf. I actually used half the
> width of a thin space for hair space and set the width of the zwsp to
> zero which surprisingly it wasn't.

Donald Knuth in The TeX Book, page 60, says this:

em is the width of a "quad" in the current font. Each font defines its
own em and ex values. In olden days an "em" was the width of an `M',
but this is no longer true; ems are simply arbitrary units that come
with a font, and so are exes. Indeed, Knuth's Computer Modern fonts
contain a quantity called quad width.

For en space he uses .5 em.

Regards, Simon

--