Chris,

> I don't think FOP should step up to a minimum of 1.4. Just last week
> user was saying on the user mailing list that needed FOP to run on
JDK
> 1.2.

You have valid concerns, I will revisit exactly what parts of PDFBox
require 1.4.  I suspect it is only small sections and potentially
sections not required for FOP functionality.  For example, converting a
PDF to an image requires 1.4, but that is not functionality that would
be used by FOP.  It should not be too difficult to isolate these
sections.

My only other comment(and I am just ranting) on this issue is that
staying compatible with 1.3 requires effort, which diverts effort from
added features or fixing bugs.  Staying on the bleeding edge also takes
a lot of effort, but 1.4 has been around for over 4 years, we need to
cutover at some point.

> As Jeremias already mentioned FORay Font is a standalone Font library
> that has evolved from FOP 0.20.5.

I just joined the foray developer list and hope to start helping.  I
don't fully understand how the Foray font package is changing to
support FOP, but that is off topic so I'll start a new discussion
thread on that list.

Ben