You don't need revision numbers. We're doing a clean job of tagging (SVN
term: copying) our codebase. If, for example, you want the revision that
xmlgraphics-commons-1.0.jar was built with, checkout (or switch to):
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/commons/tags/commons-1_0/

It is a convention that nobody commits a change agains a directory under
the "tags" directory after it has been created.

The only times you need revision numbers is when referencing a
particular change or if you want to merge stuff. Otherwise, you can
always work with the HEAD revision.

I suggest you throw an eye into the excellent SVN book:
http://www.svnbook.org

The most important thing you need to understand is that in SVN a
revision is not a revision of a particular file, but the revision of the
whole repository, i.e. a revision indicates a particular state of the
repository at a specified point in time.