Oopse, sorry - Fop wasn't complaining about the shared id there - it was b/c
I'd got the same chunk in a different part of the fo file. Following the old
docs just brings up warnings (WARNING: Unknown formatting object
http://org.apache.fop/extensions/afp^include-page-overlay ... and ...
SEVERE: No LayoutManager maker for class class
org.apache.fop.fo.UnknownXMLObj) and - from poking around inside the afp
structured fields - I can't track down the references to the overlays.

Also occurs to me this is should all be on the Users rather than Dev list -
for which, apologies.