Hi,

I read the long discussion between Jeremias and Chris, and Jörg's
note.

I do not like the idea of extension elements. I think, here I refer
back to a recent post by Glen about standard FO files. I like the idea
of a configuration file. Even a different configuration file for each
single document is not a bad thing, possibly in addition to a more
permanent configuration file with more permanent data like
fonts. Surely most users do not like to write a configuration file
often, but maybe someone can write a GUI for them to fire off FOP with
the desired configuration.

I also have a feeling of reinvention, not of TeX/DVI, but of the
wheel. I do not know really much about printing. But I imagine this
procedure. When I ask an application like Acrobat to print a file, it
pops up a dialog. The dialog reads a printer capabilities file, as a
PPD file or from the printer driver or from some other source. So the
user makes a choice and the application inserts the appropriate
commands for the user's choice into the output file. FOP is such a
application, so that is what it should do. Do all these applications
do the work themselves? I do not think so. They use a framework. Isn't
Java's framework the Java Printing System? So FOP should use that.

So definitely a configuration external to the FO file. And something
like the Java Printing System to know the installed printer
configuration and provide the user with the appropriate GUI and
choice.

Regarding a configuration file per printing run, recently a similar
possibility was put forward for the user preferences for
printer-specific image handling and other options. In a recent
fop-user post I suggested the idea of hyphenation exceptions in a
configuration file.

Just my two cents.

Simon

--