On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 10:19:27AM +0200, Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> Simon Pepping a écrit :
> As far as I'm concerned, I'm planning to put my thoughts about the
> project on a dedicated Wiki page. I think that just providing high-level
> comments on them would already be of great help: am I going into the

I will try to do that.

> right direction? Am I running into a dead-end? Have I missed something
> important? In particular, I'll be playing with Knuth's glue/box/penalty
> model, and as you seem to have good knowledge of it I would be glad to
> hear from you about that.

Your Wiki page looks good.

I have no understanding of TeX's algorithm for placement of
floats. Since TeX has a first-fit algorithm for page breaks, I assume
it is much simpler than required in a total-fit algorithm. I am
awaiting your design.

I have one small comment on your decomposition of the line breaking
algorithm:

>    * defining a somewhat arbitrary formula used to compute the demerit of
> each break, and which is to be minimized;

I find the above second item in this list a bit misplaced. It is part
of the definition of the algorithm rather than its actions.

Regarding the last list, I am not sure what you mean by 'a floating
sequence of g/b/p items'. A subsequence whose position in the large
sequence is floating?

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping