Vincent,

did you already investigate how footnotes are implemented? Can you say
anything about how similar the problem of footnotes is to before-floats?
Just so you don't have to start from scratch while there may be
something to build upon. After all, the footnotes also contain some
logic to move certain parts to a different page than where anchor is
located.

Another thing that we may need to keep in mind: There was lots of desire
from the user community that FOP supports large documents (long-term
goal, not necessary yours). I wrote that a first-fit algorithm could
help free memory earlier. Obviously, for complex before-float situations
a total-fit approach is probably more interesting as it can come up with
more "creative" solutions. I'm just mentioning it so we keep the bigger
picture in mind and since there could be conflicting goals.