On Monday 19 June 2006 16:45, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> On 18.06.2006 20:57:51 Simon Pepping wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 07:36:45PM +0800, Manuel Mall wrote:
<snip/>
> > > Or should we use a more refined approach were we generate
> > > initially an INFINITE penalty but if the page breaking cannot
> > > find a solution we reduce the penalty on some/all of those
> > > elements given an INFINITE penalty because of keeps and run the
> > > page breaker again?
> >
> > I am in favor of this solution. There are generally two solutions:
> > increase the tolerance, or force a solution. I think FOP already
> > has a force parameter for this purpose.
>
> +1. Yes, BreakingAlgorithm has a "force" parameter which is currently
> set to true for page breaking. There's also a "threshold". We can
> probably play with that first. See
> LineLayoutManager.findOptimalBreakPoints().

Yes, there is a force parameter and it seems to be always set to true
for page breaking (and false for line breaking). But it doesn't seem to
guarantee that breaks will be found otherwise we shouldn't get
the "giving up after 50 retries" message.

Anyone who understands how this force parameter is suppose to work?

> Jeremias Maerki

Manuel