FYI: I'm planning to refactor the breaking algorithm in order to
implement floats. I'll see what can be done in this area. Just keep in
touch.

Vincent

Manuel Mall a écrit :
On Monday 19 June 2006 16:45, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

On 18.06.2006 20:57:51 Simon Pepping wrote:

On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 07:36:45PM +0800, Manuel Mall wrote:

<snip/>

Or should we use a more refined approach were we generate
initially an INFINITE penalty but if the page breaking cannot
find a solution we reduce the penalty on some/all of those
elements given an INFINITE penalty because of keeps and run the
page breaker again?

I am in favor of this solution. There are generally two solutions:
increase the tolerance, or force a solution. I think FOP already
has a force parameter for this purpose.

+1. Yes, BreakingAlgorithm has a "force" parameter which is currently
set to true for page breaking. There's also a "threshold". We can
probably play with that first. See
LineLayoutManager.findOptimalBreakPoints().

Yes, there is a force parameter and it seems to be always set to true for page breaking (and false for line breaking). But it doesn't seem to guarantee that breaks will be found otherwise we shouldn't get the "giving up after 50 retries" message.

Anyone who understands how this force parameter is suppose to work?

Jeremias Maerki

Manuel