On 19.06.2006 11:35:18 Chris Bowditch wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
> > On 18.06.2006 13:26:00 Manuel Mall wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>

> >>Calling a release 1.0 is IMO quite a significant step which shouldn't
> >>been taken lightly. What we are saying in doing so is: Here is
> >>something we believe is ready for production use.
> >

> > Yes, but neither should we put off a 1.0 for much longer. Having a 0.x
> > version number is a big disadvantange. OTOH, when I released Barcode4J
> > 1.0 it was almost too perfect. Almost no serious problems and also
> > almost no third-party patches. No community building. One-man show. :-(
>
> I don't think you can compare Barcode4J to FOP. FOP is a much bigger and
> more complex system.

Sure, it's bigger, but my point was about community building. And that
doesn't have so much to do with the size of a project. The question is:
What makes someone decide to help out in a project and send patches?
That's a very important question we have to ask ourselves. We still need
to attract new people. For example, all those tool producers lurking on
this list and/or using Apache FOP in their products. I'm in contact with
some of them. Pretty much everyone says they are interested but still
most of them hold back. Some because they are still stuck with 0.20.5
(many have customized 0.20.5 versions). Frankly, I'm stumped as to why
they don't even give their opinions where they would like to see FOP
head. I'd like to find out what we can do to encourage them to join us.
So far, I have no recipe. At least, I'm happy to have some supporters
who enabled me to allocate so much time to FOP in the last 18 months,
even if some of them choose to stay in the background. Still, given
FOP's popularity and the progress we made in the past months, I'm
surprised we don't get more supporters. But as you say, a 1.0 will
certainly have a big boost in this direction. What else can we do?

At this point, I want to say a big thank-you to the Swiss Federal
Insitute of Intellectual Property which supported me to fix several bugs
and to implement some layout enhancements and support for PDF/A-1b,
PDF/X-3:2003, fixed-width spaces and kerning. And of course, a huge
thank-you to my biggest supporter who enabled me to help bring FOP to
where it is today!

<snip/>

> Please can you say where you think 0.92beta is behind 0.20.5? The only
> issue that I'm aware of is the change of IPD mid-page-sequence.

I've listed them in http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/ReleasePlanning
I was a little surprised. It's not just 2 or 3 items.

<snip/>