Fabio Gianetti made a good comment [1]. I answered like this [2]. I'm
currently thinking about how best to implement this. To keep it simple
for the moment, we could implement "always" like before but
remove/disable the overflow recovery I've implemented. That way, the
content would again overflow. All integer values could be implemented as
penalty=999 for the moment (thus allow some relaxing), at least until we
have a good scheme about mapping integer keeps to penalty values like we
started to discuss some time ago. However, this would disable the
possibility to shove an element ahead n pages in the hope that there
will be a page that the element fits on (the purpose of the overflow
recovery). But that will be a very rare thing anyway, so I don't think
there's any harm. Any objections?

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xsl-editors/2006JulSep/0001.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xsl-editors/2006JulSep/0003.html