Thanks Andreas.

It's not a problem with the style sheet. MS Word creates the empty list.
Following is Microsoft's description of the listpr element. It doesn't
explicitly address empty lists. Therefore, I think my proposed
modification is reasonable. I'll read up on the FOP website about how to
submit code changes for consideration and see what happens.

Thanks, Gary

Lists

In WordprocessingML, lists are a series of paragraphs that have a list
style applied to them, with each item in the list in a separate
paragraph. What distinguishes a "list paragraph" from an ordinary
paragraph is the presence of a listPr element in the pPr element in the
paragraph. The listPr element specifies the list style to be used with
the paragraph's content and the level of the list. Here is a sample of a
list with two items, which are represented by the two paragraphs with
listPr elements:

<w:p>
   <w:pPr>
      <w:listPr>
         <w:ilvl w:val="0" />
         <w:ilfo w:val="1" />
      </w:listPr>
   </w:pPr>
   <w:r>
      <w:t>Item 1</w:t>
   </w:r>
</w:p>
<w:p>
   <w:pPr>
      <w:listPr>
         <w:ilvl w:val="0" />
         <w:ilfo w:val="1" />
      </w:listPr>
   </w:pPr>
   <w:r>
      <w:t>Item 2</w:t>
   </w:r>
</w:p>

Only two elements can appear inside the listPr element:

    * ilvl: The list's level number. This number is incremented as lists
are nested within lists.
    * ilfo: The list style to use. This number must refer to a list
style defined in the lists element.

Gary Reed
Horizon Anatomic Pathology Development
McKesson Provider Technologies
541.681.8265
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of
information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message.