Thanks for the help. As a temporary nasty hack I have simply done the
following in UnresolvedPageNumber.resolveIDRef(String id, List pages):

String pg = page.getPageNumberString(); // original code, nasty hack follows

// pad out the word in the text area to be
final int ESTIMATED_RESERVE = "MMM".length();
for (int i = 0; i < ESTIMATED_RESERVE - pg.length(); i++)
{
   // adding a double space which hopefully is the same as the letter "M"
   addWord("  ",0);
}

addWord(pg, 0); // back to original code again