On Jan 7, 2007, at 10:34, Manuel Mall wrote:

Hi Manuel,

<snip />
1) ...<fo:inline text-decoration="underline">some text <fo:inline
color="red"> red text </fo:inline> more text </fo:inline> ...

Should 'red text' be underlined or not? We currently do underline the
text but I interpret the spec that we should not. Only text-decoration
applied to a block level element propagates to nested inlines.
text-decoration applied to an inline does not propagate.

Going back to the original, I read the following:
"This property describes decorations that are added to the text of an element. If the property is specified for a block-level element, it affects all inline-level descendants of the element. If it is specified for (or affects) an inline-level element, it affects all boxes generated by the element."

and

"This property is not inherited, but descendant boxes of a block box should be formatted with the same decoration."

Being specified on the outer fo:inline, the question becomes:
Are the boxes generated by the inner fo:inline to be considered as also being generated by the outer fo:inline?

If yes, then FOP behaves the right way. If 'all boxes generated by the element' refers only to the boxes that correspond to the element's text child-nodes (not counting descendant elements), then this needs to be corrected.

2) ...<fo:block text-decoration="underline">some text <fo:block
color="red"> red text </fo:block> more text </fo:block> ...

Same question: Should 'red text' be underlined or not? We currently do
underline the text but I interpret the spec that we should not.
text-decoration applied to a block level element propagates to nested
inlines only not to nested blocks.

Analogous question here WRT to the text-node that is a descendant of the inner fo:block, although this seems clearer: a) 'descendant boxes of a block box should be formatted with the same decoration'
b) 'descendant' is not the same as 'child'
This would lead me to conclude that the box containing the text 'red text' counts as a descendant box of the outer block, and thus should receive the same text-decoration.

Any other thoughts?

Cheers,