Unused, yes, because I seem to have screwed up.

The TXTHandler was added as part of Sergey Simonchik's patch #37253,
applied with revision:

Then, during refactoring for dynamic Renderer and FOEventHandler
configuration, the TXTHandler got lost:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/java/org/apache/fop/render/RendererFactory.java?r1=332141&r2=332549&diff_format=h

The TXTRenderer does work without the TXTHandler. I never really
understood what exactly the TXTHandler tweaks to make the
text output better.

At least, we have now reconnected the pieces in the mail-archive if this
needs to be restored at some point.

I wonder how many people actually use the text renderer. Apparently
quite a few since we get question about it every now and then. If I had
time, I'd do a comparison of the output with and without the TXTHandler.
But in a few months things will look different...