On Jul 18, 2007, at 17:44, Manuel Mall wrote:

Hi Manuel

<snip />
This proposed patch seems to cause a side-effect I would like a
clarification on. The following fo snippet

<fo:block keep-together="always">some long text</fo:block>

used to have the effect of keeping "some long text" on a single page.

After my patch it would also keep "some long text" on a single line!

keep-together is an inherited property and it seems
        keep-together="always"
is just a shorthand for
        keep-together.within-page="always"
        keep-together.within-line="always"
        keep-together.within-column="always"

That is how I would interpret it. If there is no constraint to keep the content together on a line, then the author needs to explicitly specify only the applicable components.

If you alter the original snippet to:

<fo:block keep-together.within-page="always">some long text</fo:block>

Then the other two components would default to "auto". The only minor inconvenience being that to prohibit page- and column-breaks but not line-breaks, the user has to specify two components separately to have the third revert to the initial value.

This could mean existing fos which render fine now will render
diffrently after support for keep-together.within-line="always" has
been added.
I guess that is acceptable but rather wanted to check before.

The effects could (and should IMO) indeed be different in the case you describe.

Cheers