On Oct 26, 2007, at 19:25, Vincent Hennebert wrote:

in layoutmgr.table.ColumnSetup an error message is thrown if there are
gaps between columns. There is also some code in the TableFObj tree to
deal with column gaps. But AFAIU there’s nothing in the spec stating
that fo:table-columns should be consecutive.

Indeed not. You could number your columns 100, 200, 300...
IIRC, they don't even have to be defined in ascending order, and neither do the table-cells.

So, if you'd like, you could define a three column table:

<fo:table ...>
  <fo:table-column column-number="10" .../>
  <fo:table-column column-number="5" .../>
  <fo:table-column column-number="1" .../>

And as table-columns are
only placeholders for properties that may be used by children
table-cells, I don’t see what is wrong with gaps.

Nothing.

Anyone against me changing this behaviour?

Nope.

Cheers