Hi Jeremias,

You have obviously spent quite a bit of time thinking about this, sorry if my reply is brief, but my first impressions are that I like the IFPainter idea. Architecturally it looks like a really good improvement - creating a new level of abstraction that will deal with layout issues/details that would otherwise have to be implemented in a subtly different way in each implementing PrintRenderer and at the same time providing an SVG style intermediate format that can more easily and efficiently plotted.

On the negative side, I'm not sure on what/if any performance improvements we would gain from it though. Having said that, still an initial +1 from me :). You mention lots of hashCode() Map operations in the AreaTreeParser.. do you have any graphs or stats you could share with us from that profiling work?

Adrian.