I'm not sure, yet, if it's so easily possible to get the
TransformerFactory from the FopFactory as it's not available everywhere.
This could take some additional wiring. At first I was simply thinking
about a classloader-wide setting (i.e. static variable) plus a system
property. After all, it's not just FOP that instantiates Transformers,
but XML Graphics Commons and Batik, too. I'll look into it.

On 31.01.2008 00:11:43 Andreas Delmelle wrote:
> On Jan 30, 2008, at 13:01, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
> Hi Jeremias, Vincent,
>
> > <snip />
> > However, there's one thing in this context that is still on my list
> > and
> > that I want to change eventually: We have multiple places where we
> > create a new TransformerFactory. It's always the platform default that
> > is used. Some FOP users have asked before that there be a default that
> > is set to and applies to FOP only, i.e. we need a central
> > SAXTransformerFactory for FOP.
>
> I agree with the intention, but not with duplicating the endorsed
> standards mechanism, as noted in the other thread.
> The context where this is applicable, is not really simple CLI-usage,
> so my reasoning would be:
> If an embedding user needs to instantiate the basic
> TransformerFactory himself, FOP should probably simply keep a
> reference to that, and use that single factory internally.
>
> For example, a user could decide to force a hard dependency on Saxon:
>
> SAXTransformerFactory tFactory = (SAXTransformerFactory)
> net.sf.saxon.TransformerFactoryImpl.newInstance()
>
> If we make it possible for him to pass this factory into the
> FopFactory or FOUserAgent, and we replace all internal references to
> TransformerFactory to use this instance, that should provide him with
> more than enough flexibility.

<snip/>