Jeremias,

actually I had the same reservations (especially about the "last element", and if you have a real problem with this feel free to revert this patch. Maybe we could write a simple helper method instead?

static Element getLastElement(List l) ?

Would that disperse your concerns?

Why I did it: For the exact reason that the interface is more convenient. You are only partially right that LinkedList is the most efficient interface: I was digging through the LayoutCode, and found places where a single element list is created:

LinkedList l = new LinkedList()
l.add(element)
return l.

In this case, Collections.singletonList() is MUCH more effective. AAMOF, on all list where you know the size beforehand (most cases in the layout, becasue you know that x elemnets are going to result in x layoutElements) arrayList is more effective.

Background: I discovered that passing back multiple LayoutContexts is not as easy as I thought, and I need to do some refactoring in the layout code to ensure this is possible - therefore this (and the last cleanup). I really need to make the code easier to read before I can change it.

Max