On Jul 13, 2008, at 04:07, Peter B. West wrote:

Andreas Delmelle wrote:

URL and URI are both used here. But I think "URL" is the mandatory term
here. The other thing is "URI Syntax" which does not refer to "URI"
itself. Since a URL is a URI, but not all URIs are URLs, I believe your
example above is slightly incorrect.
Nice catch. For the moment, better to be safe than sorry. Indeed, a URI could also be something not referring to a file (or, better put: a valid input source for a transformation) Strictly speaking, according to the above definition, the systemId is allowed to be a 'mailto:' (?) :-/
Sloppy editors... ;-)

I don't think so. The docs for java.net.URL include
"The syntax of URL is defined by RFC 2396: Uniform Resource Identifiers (URI): Generic Syntax, amended by RFC 2732: Format for Literal IPv6 Addresses in URLs."

That is, the syntax for URLs is defined as part of the URI syntax.

Yes, that's the point, but 'URI Syntax' is more general. All URLs are URIs, but URIs can also be opaque, like a mailto:, news:, isbn:...

The point is that the API docs of javax.xml.transform.stream.StreamSource do not explicitly limit the parameter to URLs. They do indicate that the constructor is meant to create a new StreamSource off a URL, but it does not even hint at the (common-sense) requirement that the parameter String actually points to a valid, live resource that can be an input source for a transformation.

No immediate problem for us, but it just seems a bit sloppy on the side of the maintainers of those docs...