Adrian,

for the same reason I must disagree with the this change: If the fonts
are not available (symbol, zapf dingbats), fop will just fall back to
the default font, where the character is also not available. What you
loose in this case is a little bit of performance. What you gain is the
chance that fop is finally able to produce special characters (which has
been a missing feature for a long time). So rather than shorting this
list, you could enlengthen it with the "symbol" fonts available in afp.

Max