As you know Jeremias, this AFP library and an AFPRenderer was originally donated to the Apache Foundation in 2006 [1]. It was donated as a prototype AFP library and renderer all mixed up together.

From the work I have done in the Temp_AFPGOCAResources branch, the original AFP code is no longer just a library and renderer but is a much more complete production quality implementation. We now have complex data object creation, native image embedding using object containers, resource group streaming (external), resource leveling and an AFPGraphics2D implementation providing GOCA support. Its offering is now much more substantial and mature and it made sense as I implemented these things that that the AFP library component should become independent and have no knowledge of FOP's AFP rendering component. Having this separation in mind made it conceptually easier for me.

As you mentioned with the PDF library, maybe there might similarly be a desire for access to the AFP library in XG Commons or elsewhere in the future, this would now be quite straight forward if there was a desire for it. Similarly, other projects which may have no interest in the FOP rendering engine or even XML Graphics are far more likely to make use of this AFP library and may even contribute back :).

Of course I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of other committers.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/xmlgraphics-fop-afp-renderer.html

Jeremias Maerki wrote:
Back in 2003, the RTF library was moved from org.apache.fop.rtf under
org.apache.fop.render.rtf [1], and now the AFP library is moved in
exactly the opposite direction. Yes, there's the PDF library under
org.apache.fop.pdf. But it's destined to move out to XG Commons because
Batik needs a cleaner access path to it (I know, I know, that one's
still on my task list). I'm not vetoing this change but I would think
things like that warrant checking back with the rest of the committers
to see what they think before doing something like that. I believe we
would want to follow a certain strategy on such things. FWIW, I
currently don't see a necessity or benefit for this change at the moment.

[1] https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?limit_changes=0&view=rev&revision=196981

On 27.10.2008 13:11:38 acumiskey wrote:
Author: acumiskey
Date: Mon Oct 27 04:11:31 2008
New Revision: 708134

Log:
All AFP library classes without Renderer dependencies moved from
org.apache.fop.renderer.afp.* to org.apache.fop.afp.*.
AbstractNamedAFPObject now truncates names to the last x characters of the name
string instead of the first x (where x is the name length of the structured
field).
Removed redundant package org.apache.fop.store.
<snip/>

Jeremias Maerki

Adrian.