An isolated example? No. But you could take a look at my
fox:external-document extension. That one is an extension and creates
areas using a special layout manager.

Classes involved:
- org.apache.fop.fo.extensions.ExternalDocument (extension object, FO tree part)
- org.apache.fop.fo.extensions.ExtensionElementMapping (extension registration)
- org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.ExternalDocumentLayoutManager (layout manager)
- org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.LayoutManagerMapping

But frankly, I don't think it's possible (without changing FOP) to
actually implement an external plug-in that creates/uses a layout
manager.

What are you trying to do?