Hi Jeremias,

On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 08:37 +0200, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> I don't think that relying directly on the ImageIO API is a problem
> since it's been part of the core Java class library since Java 1.4. It's
> available in all JVMs that claim to be at least Java 1.4 compliant. I
> don't really see the benefit in hiding the API behind an additional
> layer. ImageIO is here to stay. But that's just my opinion.
>
> Please note that SeekableStream is a predecessor of the ImageIO
> ImageInputStream as the image codecs in XML Graphics Commons originally
> came from JAI via Batik. It's not something we built specifically for
> our project here.

I had a look at SeekableStream and I can imagine how the needs resulted
in the ImageInputStream interface. I haven't decided yet if I should use
ImageInputStream directly. Maybe someone else can throw it's two cents
in here.

> An inquiry on fop-users [1] reminded me to just briefly mention an
> important point about the font subsystem: the fact that some font data
> is loaded again and again for each rendering run. We've discussed this
> (and possible solution approaches: "font sources") in the past (see
> mailing list archives, particularly [2]). Unfortunately, this hasn't
> been realized, yet. Some improvements were made in the last couple of
> years, but we're not quite there, yet. So I'm happy that you've started
> working in this area. This will surely be at least a big step in the
> right direction.
>
> [1] http://markmail.org/thread/r6etkcadyaahgyhe
> [2] http://markmail.org/message/4cmbj5x3zkvflrax

I read the FOPFontSubsystemDesign [1] wiki page. At the moment I don't
understand the whole system good enough to see whats needed by the rest
of FOP. I think a more deeply discussion about the font subsystem would
be out of this discussions subject. So maybe we should start a new
thread on the list. But before this, I should get my OpenType reading
finished and submit the patch.

Best Regards
Alex

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/FOPFontSubsystemDesign