Hi,

On 07/09/10 10:00, Chris Bowditch wrote:
> Glenn Adams wrote:
>
> Hi Glenn/Jeremias,
>
>> I've already implemented in my complex scripts work, so it will make
>> it into trunk in due time. However, I think I'll leave the default
>> setting as it is for the time being. Users can explicitly enable it
>> via their config. We can take up the issue of whether to change the
>> default at a future time.
>
> I do not like the idea of changing the default value of Kerning from off
> to on. The reason being that users who decide to upgrade their FOP
> version will suddenly find the appearance of their documents changing.
> Better to let users who are unsatisfied with the default inter character
> spacing to go and enable kerning than force users to regression test
> every document to make sure the changes to appearance is acceptable.

I disagree. New users don’t care whether kerning was enabled in previous
versions or not. They just want their documents to look good and don’t
want to be told about some obscure configuration option. In fact, they
may not even know what kerning is and they don’t want to be bothered
with that.

Kerning is something that font designers spend time to define in order
for their fonts to look good, and not handling kerning is a bug. Kerning
should be enabled by default.

For users who are upgrading their version of FOP, a warning in the
release notes should be enough. They /will/ have to regression test
their documents anyway.

Vincent