On 24 Jan 2011, at 23:17, Glenn Adams wrote:

Hi Glenn

> Is there a reason why *all* bug fixes are not accompanied by one or more new
> test cases that demonstrate the presence and absence of the bug before and
> after the fix? Adding such test cases should be mandatory for all bug fix
> commits. I wouldn't quite go that far for performance and clean up fixes,
> however, but for legitimate bugs, there should be a reliable way to ensure
> that (1) the bug and its fix are testable and (2) that future regressions do
> not occur. I realize it takes more effort, but it is worth it in the long
> term, both in actual improvements in quality and the ability to demonstrate
> consistently good practice to maintain that quality.

FWIW, in case you are referring to some of my recent commits...
Any specific ones I should be taking a look at? Just following old habits, I'm
afraid, and try to add tests wherever appropriate, even if the fix affects only
a single line of code.

Performance fixes may be rather difficult to test for, but even then one could
conjure up a way to test whether adding nodes remains a linear operation, for
example. We have no real framework set up for that type of thing, but I guess I
could invest some time in that.

> Many Apache projects require this process be followed; I would urge the FOP
> project to adopt a similar criterion for bug fix commits.

Basically agreed with your viewpoint, so point out where exactly you feel
something was missing and I'll see if I can accommodate you.

Regards,

Andreas
---