Andreas,

I wasn't trying to pick on you or anyone for that matter. It is something
I've been meaning to bring up for some months actually.

What I would hope to see is follows:

(1) if there is a bug where a given input FO file causes an unhandled
exception, and the bug fix is to fix the underlying problem causing the
exception, then that input FO file, or a subset thereof, should be added as
a test case, verified to fail prior to the fix, and verified not to fail
after the fix; a regression after the fix would cause the exception to occur
once again;

(2) similarly, if the bug is reporting a failure to produce expected results
for an existing feature; in this case, one or more test cases should be
added to verify the expected results;

(3) similarly, if a bug is requesting a new feature, and the bug fix is to
add the feature, then there should be some reasonable attempt to add tests
for that new feature; i'm not asking for 100% coverage of the feature, but
something more than nothing is a good thing;

(4) in the case of a performance fix, i would not say a test case
(demonstrating the improvement) is required; of course, if someone was
energetic enough to include a test case showing the performance delta, then
that would be welcome;

Of the above, I'm mostly concerned with the first and second cases.

Regards,
Glenn