The dynamic PUA augmentation to BFENTRIES was required due to the fact that
some fonts do not provide CMAP entries corresponding to glyph indices that
are output from the GSUB processing. If the IFPainter interface took glyph
indices instead of chars, then it wouldn't have been a problem; but alas, it
does use chars, so the only way to handle was to introduce dynamic PUAs. As
you point out, this only works with embedded subsets.