I did all those rendering hints.  It still looks like it has a shadow.

________________________________

From: Glenn Adams [mailto:gl...@skynav.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:55 AM
To: fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Re: How do you smooth fonts?

enable font aliasing in whatever layer you are using for rendering

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Eric Douglas <edoug...@blockhouse.com>
wrote:

        When I transform XSLFO with FOP I can send the output to PDF or
AWT and text looks sharp.
        I'm trying to use the same fonts to generate graphics directly
since I'm programmatically generating the input to my FOP process and I
don't actually need the XSLFO process.

        I know exactly what text I want to print, what size I want it,
and exactly where I want it on the page.
        I tried putting the text on an image and putting the image on a
Swing panel and it always comes out fuzzy.  It's even fuzzier if I try
to save that image to a file or send it to a printer.

        I tried using the FOP classes for loading the font, using the
Java2DGraphicsState, FontInfo, and FontMetricsMapper objects to generate
the text.  It's always rendered blurry.  What could I be missing?