Hi Craig,

On 16/12/11 13:29, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Hi all
>
> While reading over the pdf-image extension and fop code, I'm having a bit of
> an interesting time figuring out the difference between a few things and was
> hoping for a very brief pointer.
>
> I'm not quite sure what differentiates org.apache.fop.render.RendererContext
> from org.apache.fop.render.RendererContext . The JavaDoc comments don't really
> differentiate them and they look quite similar.

This is hard to tell. I could trace RendererContext as far back as 2003,
while RenderingContext was added in 2009 with the new XML Intermediate
Format. I don’t know why RenderContext was not deleted or retrofitted
back then.

Given that RenderingContext is more recent, is an interface and has many
more implementations than RenderContext has sub-classes (actually only
one in the AFP code), I’d say it’s a safe bet to go with
RenderingContext.

> This isn't helped by the fact that the pdf-image extension provides two image
> handlers - one implements PDFImageHandler and takes a RendererContext, while
> the other implements ImageHandler and takes a RenderingContext. They seem to
> do much the same thing.
>
> Is this a case of old-backwards-compat-code meets new-code? If so, which
> should I target for future work?
>
> *headscratch*
>
> --
> Craig Ringer