On 27/02/2012 8:08 PM, Vincent Hennebert wrote:
We would like to implement PDF Object Streams as defined in the PDF 1.5
Reference. In short, the structure tree would be stored inside a stream
to allow for compression in the same way as the page content.
What's the status of object stream support in PDFBox? Is it possible the feature is bettern implemented by adopting a PDFBox based backend?

There's been long term planning talk of moving over to PDFBox as the underlying PDF support library. It'd massively simplify work with PDF-in-PDF embedding, reduce maintenance work, etc. Is it worth doing major enhancement work on fop's pdf library if it may go away in future?

I'm struggling with getting fop and pdfbox to play well together at the moment as I work on enhancing fop-pdf-image to merge duplicate font subsets. The use of two different pdf libraries makes fop-pdf-image much more complex and makes working with fonts a lot harder. I'm sure it's not the only area where a pdfbox-based backend might be good.

--
Craig Ringer