On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 9:56 PM, sdridi <sdr...@iptech-group.com> wrote:

> Glenn Adams-2 wrote
> > I would suggest you not just read code but run it with Eclipse or
> NetBeans
> > to trace the execution process. That is one of the best ways to learn
> > actual code behavior.
>
> Yes of course, debugging is my only way to break FOP mystery
>

> Glenn Adams-2 wrote
> > Maybe that somebody is you! :)
>
> That would be an honor, but not before I master how FOP works
>
> Back to my main topic of discussion, if anyone can shed some light on FOP
> layout engine, I'd be very grateful.

You can start by reading [1]. Then, if you are really dedicated and want to
delve further, read the relevant parts of TeX: The Program [2]. Or, if you
prefer to read Lisp (Scheme), then you can find a faithful transcription of
the TeX line breaker at [3], which I wrote in 1990 or so. Once you've
internalized this information, you are ready to tackle the FOP line breaker.

Good luck! Glenn

[1]
http://bowman.infotech.monash.edu.au/~pmoulder/line-breaking/knuth-plass-breaking.pdf
[2]