I wouldn't say there is a recommended way but the way I do it is by running FOP in embedded mode (I used the servlet example as basis to build a test class) in a loop and by connecting visualvm to the running java process. Let it run for a while to get to a steady state and use the visualvm graphical report to compare the performance measurements with and without the code changes.