I have performed a brief study of the current findbugs exclusions file. At
present there are 1094 exclusions covering 101 distinct exclusions types.
Of these types, half (~50) have 3 or fewer exclusions.

I plan to start cleaning up these exclusions by first fixing all types
having 10 or fewer exclusions. This will leave approximately 25 types of
exclusions to handle in a second fix pass.

Eventually, I will identify in the exclusions file all exclusion types that
should not be permitted to be added, i.e., that must be fixed. I expect
that some exclusion types will remain, such as:

   - BC_UNCONFIRMED_CAST
   - EI_EXPOSE_REP
   - EI_EXPOSE_REP2
   - PZLA_PREFER_ZERO_LENGTH_ARRAYS
   - UWF_FIELD_NOT_INITIALIZED_IN_CONSTRUCTOR

Those that remain (and added in the future) should be subject to an
explicit design choice, and not merely to silence a warning.

Once I sort this out, I will ask for a vote on enabling findbugs in nightly
builds.