Hi Glenn

> On 27 May 2015, at 18:36, Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com> wrote:
>
> One significant risk in a major rewrite of an important section is
> regression. This is particularly true given the paucity of tests in FOP. You
> will have to assume that such a rewrite is going to produce a number of
> regressions (while continuing to pass the test suite).

Yep, also very true...
To reduce that risk, it is likely best to follow up on the idea of creating
that branch first, and give others a chance to have a look and run some local
tests for a couple of months before merging it back after a proper vote.

After all, I am not so presumptuous as to consider myself infallible. As I
recall, one other significant change I worked on locally, way back when, got
committed to trunk directly and, benefits aside, turned out to cause quite some
issues in production environments later on, after a major release, mainly due
to insufficient regression testing (PropertyCache, anyone? :/)

Rest assured that I will not make that same mistake twice.

Thanks!

KR