Yes, this is the basic approach one would take. You will need to track down
all of the methods/fields where char is is used and change it to int or add
a new method with an int signature (for methods). Then you will need to
find all call sites for these use sites and change them to extract Unicode
code points (integers in the range [0,1114111]) to pass to the changed/new
methods.

You will need to do this while not breaking the current tests and you will
need to add new tests to cover non-BMP use cases.

You will probably want to create a fork of the FOP repository in github and
do your work on a branch of that fork.

Good Luck,
Glenn