Firstly, the AT (area tree) output format is really only used for testing
these days. You should be looking at the IF (intermediate format) output
format, which presently drives all the rendering modules.

Whether a proposed patch is accepted or not depends a great deal on its
quality, appropriateness, completeness (e.g., whether testing is included),
and architectural soundness. If it fails these in a significant way, it
would likely not be accepted into trunk.