Hi there,
we're using docbook5 to write our technical documents which needs to be
published as accessible PDF files and we would like to use FOP as fo-processor.
FOP already supports generating tagged PDF content but I'm not happy with the
results and would like to discuss this topic further.

Docbook5 provides XSL sheets to convert docbook to fo which then can be
processed by fo-processors. The XSL sheets often generate deep nested fo:block
structures like the following example:

<fo:block>
<fo:block>
<fo:block ...>
<fo:block keep-with-next.within-column="always">
<fo:block ...>
<fo:marker marker-class-name="section.head.marker">Level 1</fo:marker>
<fo:block font-size="20.735999999999997pt">1.1. Level 1</fo:block>
</fo:block>
</fo:block>
</fo:block>
</fo:block>
</fo:block>
</fo:block>

This code also generates a deep nested p(aragraph) structure in the pdf file,
because every fo:block automatically is
tagged as paragraph. I would like to get rid of this to get a flat document
structure.

I propose that fo:blocks are not automatically recognized as paragraphs because
they can contain different kinds of content, not only paragraph-like content.
So in my opinion they should not be affected by the tagging mechanism
automatically, so they are not included in the structural information. The user
should decide (opt-in) how to treat fo:blocks (like p, h1 or something else).

What do you think about this approach?
Is this something that can be (easily) achieved in FOP?

If you need further information, I'll can provide sample documents and files.

Any information relating this topic is appreciated.
thx & bye, Holger