Hey Chris,
thanks for your reply.
Implementing this kind of behavior still means opt-out. fo:block is not defined
to always represent a paragraph and FOP shouldn't assume this fact.
With fo:block you can structure your document and in some cases it will be
interpreted as paragraph. I still think the best way would be leaving the
decision up to the user.
And I don't think that this problem is only bundled with the docbook XSL. This
problem will always appear when fo code is auto-generated.

Anyway. If I understand the current implementation correct, then everything
nested inside a "artifact" structure is ignored.
It must be possible that inner structures can be tagged as a necessary
structure again, like:

<fo:block role="artifact">
  <fo:block role="artifact">
    <fo:block role="p">my text...</fo:block>