From: Bart Locanthi [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: February 16, 2002 1:12 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: A brain teaser

the xsl:fo way of doing what you want isn't pretty, but it's a very standard wish in book formatting. after you figure it out, you will wonder how else it could have been defined.

the tutorial chapter below pretty much explains how to do this:
http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect3/bk/ch05.html#d0e1929

in the code submitted already, i would have used page-position="rest"
rather than odd-or-even="any", but i don't think it would make a diff.

the hard part has to do with the so-called "static content" written to
the page masters, eg:

         <fo:page-sequence master-reference="book">
             <fo:static-content flow-name="first-before">
                 <fo:block text-align="center">
                     first page header goo
                 </fo:block>
             </fo:static-content>
             <fo:static-content flow-name="rest-before">
                 <fo:block text-align="center">
                     other page header goo
                 </fo:block>
             </fo:static-content>
where "first-before" and "rest-before" talk about areas on the two page
masters you define.

Perhaps i should have explained, the subsequent headers are different from
the first header.

The first version, Magnus' version, produced two documents. The first one
had the special headers and the second one had the ordinary ones.

The second version does the same. I don't see how the content of the

headers

will change. Granted, the margin size will change. But I need what is
contained in the header on the subsequent pages to be different from what

is

at the top of the first page. Are we to conclude that it can't be done?

I'm concluding this can't be done. {:(

--
Best,
Stephen

----- Original Message ----- From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Friday, February 15, 2002 2:59 PM Subject: Re: A brain teaser

        <fo:page-sequence-master master-name="standard">
                  <fo:conditional-page-master-reference page-position
="first" master-name="first"/>
                  <fo:conditional-page-master-reference

odd-or-even="any"

master-name="main"/>