On Thursday 28 February 2002 16:58, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
> >  I'm using FOP in a Windows environment and I want if possible to
> > be able to process a large batch of .fo files using a script. The
> > easiest way for me to do this is to use FOP as a COM object.
> > Can I do this?

Not out-of-the box AFAIK, only MS-specific java programs will work as
COM objects, or you need a COM-to-java bridge which is not very common
and usually fairly hard to setup.

It might be much easier to simply call FOP as an external process,
something like "java . . .  org.apache.fop.apps.Fop".

Another option would be to use FOP over an HTTP interface: configure
FOP as an HTTP servlet (using Cocoon for example) and call it from your
ASP code:

-ASP sends HTTP request to FOP backend
-FOP responds with a PDF document which ASP can use

Depending on your configuration FOP or Cocoon might have to make
another request to your app to get the input XML - sounds a little
complicated but is not hard to do once you get a clear picture of the
interactions.

This would give you a much more modular solution, and much less
configuration headaches.

Hope this helps!
--
 Bertrand Delacrétaz (codeconsult.ch, jfor.org)

 buzzwords: XML, java, XSLT, cocoon, mentoring/teaching/coding.
 disclaimer: eternity is very long. mostly towards the end. get ready.