On Thursday 28 February 2002 17:26, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
> Bertrand wrote:
> >Another option would be to use FOP over an HTTP interface: configure
> >FOP as an HTTP servlet (using Cocoon for example) and call it from
> > your ASP code:
>
> That sounds a much saner way of doing things, although I don't know
> much java :-&

You don't need to know java to configure Cocoon with FOP: it's out of
the box in the standard installation, if you get Cocoon to run you're
in business and you have a dynamic HTTP-to-PDF server which can take a
lot of different data sources as input.

Then, to configure Cocoon you will need to understand the sitemap
concept, it's not that hard for simple things, and it's XML-based, no
programming needed.

The skills you will need to get Cocoon running are more in the area of
"life at the command-line", configuring stuff through XML files and
using text-based log files to troubleshoot your installation.

>. . .
> The trouble is every month or so we have to print out the whole bunch
> (about 600) of the things to post off to clients, which is why I need
> a sturdy batch process.

Existing examples of Cocoon sites show that it is ready for production.
Depending on the complexity of your documents, FOP's memory
requirements might get in the way, but that's a problem you will have
anyway.

Cocoon also has a command-line mode which I do not know well, but I
think could allow you to generate your PDF docs to files directly.

Hope this helps!
--
 Bertrand Delacrétaz (codeconsult.ch, jfor.org)

 buzzwords: XML, java, XSLT, cocoon, mentoring/teaching/coding.
 disclaimer: eternity is very long. mostly towards the end. get ready.