I seem to remember having some trouble getting XSLT input handler to
work as well. I ended up doing the transoformation separately, then
feeding the resulting FO DOM as an arg to driver.render(). I've included
the servet I use , one of the simpler stylesheets, and some dummy XML
(there's a lot of extra code in the servlet, but you should be able to
find the relevant parts). This system runs on .20.2. I'm waiting to see
if .20.3 is solidified. Hope this helps.

-Matt