This issue is being dealt with. In the development cvs it uses a cache that will allow garbage collection, context (document) based, different caches etc.
For the code see:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-fop/src/org/apache/fop/image/ImageFactory.java?rev=1.3&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup