From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2002 1:33 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: feature and limitation lists

Hello,
Markus wrote:
> If you have any suggestions about how to do this easily then
> share your ideas with us.
I've suggested (or asked) to create a special fop.dtd (not a fo.dtd).
This wouldn't regard all limitation and no workarounds, but it would be a
very good tool for imlementing applications using FOP.
E.g.:
fo.dtd" (I know that there's no official fo.dtd, I took the one created by
Nikolai Grigoriev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>):
---------8X----------------8X-----------
<!ENTITY % area-properties "
  clip  CDATA  #IMPLIED
  [..]
">
[ ... block-properties is an entity based (indirectly) on area-properties
... ]
<!ELEMENT fo:block (#PCDATA | fo:initial-property-set | %basic-inlines; |
%basic-blocks; | %out-of-lines; | %wrappers;)*>
<!ATTLIST fo:block
  %block-properties;

---------8X----------------8X-----------

FOP.dtd:
---------8X----------------8X-----------
<!ENTITY % area-properties "
  <!-- clip  CDATA  #IMPLIED      not implemented by FOP yet --->
   [..]
">
[ ... block-properties is an entity based (indirectly) on area-properties
... ]
<!ELEMENT fo:block (#PCDATA | fo:initial-property-set | %basic-inlines; |
%basic-blocks; | %out-of-lines; | %wrappers;)*>
<!ATTLIST fo:block
  %block-properties;

---------8X----------------8X-----------
I don't know how FOP is implementing these features, maybe it would be
easier to remove these entities and list all attributes and content elements
explicit. But maybe these entities represent the internal implementation
structure...
A fop.dtd will answer all these question like: Feature XYZ is not working,
is it a bug in my FO document or a missing FOP feature. Maybe workarounds
can be mentioned in the fop.dtd, too.
Since fo.dtd exists, it wouldn't be too much work to add these comments.
Regards,
Jens