Alastair,

        That's the "International" version. You only need the "US English"
version
(to Americans that just means "English" ;-) which is 9 Mb, or you can use
JRE 1.3.1 http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/jre/download-windows.html which is
5.3 Mb.

> secondly all
> the download sites are in the US while I am in the UK!

Wonderful thing, the Internet :-). I sympathise if you're on a dial-up
connection- try to download first thing in morning, when our friends across
the pond are asleep. If you ever need to compile FOP, the Java 1.4 JDK is 44
Mb!!

--
RobSmith