I'm pretty sure Dave Pawson has an FAQ about this, but unfortunately his
site appears to be down at the moment:
http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect1/sect1.html

For now see this thread on docbook-apps:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-apps/200111/msg00190.html

If you have trouble getting it working, I recommend posting a question
on docbook-apps. Maybe a small test case and details about your
toolchain and customization layer.

David